Visit the main Encryption resource page
This page provides information regarding locked systems encrypted with WinMagic’s SecureDoc. If you have questions about locked systems and they are not addressed here, please contact your unit IT staff or the Office of Information Security (OIS).
- What is “challenge response?”
- Why was the system locked?
- Why are devices password protected?
- Who maintains this service?
- How is access re-gained?
- What am i locked out of?
What is “Challenge Response?”
“Challenge response” is the process that must be followed to re-gain access to a device from which one has been locked out. Challenge response has two steps:
- First, the user must successfully answer security questions for which they previously supplied answers, in order to verify their identity.
- Second, an exchange of unique numbers must be relayed between the user and a support representative. This response number, when entered into the locked device, will unlock it and allow the user to access their desktop environment.
Why was the system locked?
Why are devices password protected?
Device are protected with a technology called “encryption.” Encryption prevents users from accessing a computing device without first authenticating, usually with a username and password combination. This ensures that sensitive information potentially stored on the device remains safe from unauthorized parties.
Who maintains this service?
How is access re-gained?
During normal business hours, unit IT staff will provide assistance. They can work with a user remotely to unlock a device. If it is outside normal business hours, please call the ITS Service Desk at 814-865-HELP (4357) and they can assist with the unlock process.
What am i locked out of?
Depending on the method of encryption being used, your local security policies, and the configuration of your device, you may be locked out of SecureDoc and/or your Operating System. Your local IT staff can assist you with unlocking both of these scenarios. The ITS Service Desk can only unlock you from SecureDoc as control to the account on your system is handled solely by unit IT staff.