The incident response team is comprised of security analysts that receive internal and external reports of computer and network security issues. They are the reactive side of the Office of Information Security (OIS).
Over the past 10 years, the number of reported incidents has dramatically increased. As incidents continue to grow in numbers and sophistication, it is the responsibility of each Penn State faculty, staff, and student to report security incidents or vulnerabilities to OIS.
If you have an incident to report, please visit our Reporting an Incident resource page to learn how to do so.
Overview of Responsibilities
- Work closely with the compliance, digital forensics, and EIDS teams within OIS.
- Enforce University policies related to computer and network security, mainly policy AD20.
- Coordinate with external regional, national, and international IR teams and law enforcement.
- Advise IT contacts in colleges, distributed units, and at non-UP locations on appropriate action for incident resolution.
- Coordinate with Penn State’s Privacy Office for incidents involving Personally Identifiable Information (PII).
- Respond to copyright complaints by enforcing legal and regulatory compliance of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.