Education & Training
Office of Information Security
As the technology behind smartphones and tablets advances, it’s important to stay ahead of cyber criminals by keeping mobile devices secure.
Smartphones and tablets are targets for criminals looking to steal your personal data. Because of this, it’s important to keep your mobile devices protected by always enabling home screen passwords and locks. These passwords can protect data on your devices if they are ever misplaced or stolen.
Find out more about enabling password protection on your mobile devices:
LOCATING OR WIPING A DEVICE
If your device is ever stolen or lost, there are a few steps you can take to ensure the security of your personal information. If you have location services turned on, you can locate your device or remotely wipe all information by using either Find my iPhone or Android Device Manager.
Find out more about these applications:
ADDITIONAL TIPS FOR MOBILE SECURITY
- Don’t store sensitive, unprotected information on your mobile devices.
- Only download apps from trusted sources.
- Keep your devices’ operating systems up to date.
- Back up your devices regularly.
- Only connect to trusted Wi-Fi networks.
- Be cautious of links in text messages from unknown or suspicious senders.
- Wipe your devices of all data before selling them.