Notice of Student Data Collection and Use
NOTICE OF DATA COLLECTION AND USE
Penn State collects certain information which you knowingly and voluntarily provide to us during applying for and becoming a student at Penn State. This information is collected and used because it is necessary for the performance of Penn State’s obligation to you as a student (for example, issuing acceptance letters and enrollment). During your student relationship with Penn State, your information may also be used to further Penn State’s legitimate business interests/needs (for example, improving learning outcomes). A list of the information Penn State collects about you and the way that information is used to perform its contractual obligations and other legitimate business interests/needs is available below. Please note that, in order to meet the purposes for which your information is collected, Penn State may use outside parties to process your information (for example, our learning management system, Canvas). All third-party processors are subject to the same standards as Penn State, and Penn State requires that they commit to behave in a manner consistent with those standards and their contractual obligations. Questions regarding Penn State’s use of third-party processors may be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
DATA COLLECTION AND USE:
Types of data and transactions covered by this notice for contractual obligations and legitimate business interests/needs include the following:
- Types of data required and collected for the below transactions: biographical (name, email address, home address, phone number, date of birth, gender, marital status, race/ethnicity, emergency contact, parent/guardian), payment information (financial/credit card information), Social Security Number (SSN), Driver’s License Number, State ID number, Penn State ID number, Visa, Passport, Health Information, SAT scores application data, grades, transcripts, students schedules, earnings (wages, salaries, etc.).
- Type of transaction/use:
- Registration/Admissions: enrolling, dropping, or withdrawing from courses; viewing student schedule, grades, and transcripts; ordering transcripts; applying for graduation; requesting and viewing degree audits; FERPA release requests; and requesting enrollment verifications.
- Financial Aid: FAFSA form; receiving disclosures and notices; viewing, accepting or declining Financial Aid; and reviewing communications pertaining to financial aid.
- Student Account: viewing tuition bills; receiving notification of loan disbursements; IRS Form 1098T Agreement; and signing up for Direct Deposit.
- Administrative: updating contact and emergency contact information; signing Student Financial Responsibility Statement; submitting graduate research project and tasks; receiving student consumer information; and delegating access to another individual.
- Improving Academic Learning (via Canvas and Starfish): advising, early identification of at risk students; early warning indicators to increase student success; and increase learning outcomes.
- Health Services: diagnoses and treatment.
- Direct Marketing: degree, program, and activity/event offerings/opportunities.
The information you provide Penn State will be kept for as long as is necessary to meet the contractual and business purposes/needs for which it was collected and for a certain amount of time afterward. Information about Penn State’s data retention periods can be found in University Policy AD35 University Archives and Records Management [https://policy.psu.edu/policies/ad35].
Questions pertaining to the content of this privacy statement, can be directed to email@example.com.
Download a copy of this Notice.