Office of Information Security
User Managed Groups (UMGs)
WHAT ARE USER MANAGED GROUPS?
A User Managed Group (UMG) is a list of people created and managed by one or more students, faculty or staff members to facilitate one or more of the following:
- Communication and collaboration with the individuals in the group,
- Granting or restricting access to files, folders, websites, or other resources, and/or
- Granting or restricting permissions related to those resources.
USER MANAGED GROUPS AT PENN STATE
Creating and Managing a User Managed Group
Penn State’s Identity and Access Management group provides and supports the process for creating and managing UMGs.
For information on how to create and manage UMGs, look for UMG related articles in Penn State’s knowledge base, including, but not limited to:
- What are User Managed Groups and How Do They Work?
- Create a User Managed Group
- Add Members to a User Managed Group (UMG)
Using a UMG Once You’ve Created It
To learn how use UMGs to do things like send an Outlook email, grant permission to view a web space or folder in PASS, or grant access to a SharePoint site, search the Penn State knowledge base or the internet for instructions specific to that application.